Est. February 5th 1958      

 main  about  accidents   tybee island  store  links    

The Tybee Bomb Is a 7,600 pound (3,500 kg) Mark 15 hydrogen bomb that was lost in the waters off Savannah, Georgia on February 5, 1958. The bomb was jettisoned during a practice exercise after a B-47 bomber carrying it collided in midair with an F-86 fighter plane. It is presumed lost somewhere in Wassaw Sound off the shores of Tybee Island. The bomb is one of four nuclear weapons known to be missing from the U.S. nuclear arsenal.
the Nuclear age...
9,000 scientists of 43 nations petition United Nations for nuclear test ban, Feb 1958
The Doomsday Clock is a symbolic clockface maintained since 1947 by the Board of Directors of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists at the University of Chicago.  It uses the analogy of the human race being at a time that is "minutes to midnight" where midnight is five minutes from now,  more
A great clip from the 1958 teen B movie High School Confidential. This clip features Phillipa Fallon as a beat poetess. That's Uncle Fester, AKA Jackie Coogan on piano behind her. Turn your eyes inside and dig the vacuum. Tomorrow... drag xoxo

The accident  The B-47 bomber was on a simulated combat mission from Homestead Air Force Base in Florida. It was carrying a single 7,600 pound (3,500 kg) bomb. At about 2:00 AM, the B-47 collided with an F-86. The F-86 crashed after the pilot parachuted out. The B-47 was damaged but still operational. The crew made three unsuccessful attempts to land at Hunter Air Force Base in Georgia. The crew then requested permission to jettison the bomb. Permission was granted and the bomb was jettisoned at 7,200 feet (2,200 m) while traveling about 200 knots (370 km/h). The crew did not see an explosion upon impact. They then managed to land the B-47 safely at Hunter Air Force Base.

Recovery efforts  Starting on February 6, 1958, the Air Force 2700th Explosive Ordnance Disposal Squadron and 100 Navy personnel equipped with hand held sonar and galvanic drag and cable sweeps mounted a search. On April 16, 1958 the announcement was made that the search efforts had been unsuccessful. Based upon a hydrologic survey, the bomb is thought to lie buried under 5 to 15 feet (2 to 5 m) of silt at the bottom of Wassaw Sound.
Recent recovery efforts have been spearheaded by retired Air Force Colonel Derek Duke. In 2004, Duke claimed to have found the possible resting spot of the bomb in just twelve feet of water less than one mile from shore. He and his partner located the spot by trolling the area in their boat with a Geiger counter in tow. The spot that Duke believes is the final resting place of the bomb reads seven to ten times as high on the geiger counter as do the surrounding areas. Interest in recovery of the bomb has resurfaced among residents of nearby Tybee Island.
The Air Force completed its study of the area in September or October of 2004, and then was due to release a report in mid April 2005.[1]
The report was finally released in June 2005. The Air Force stated that high radiation measurements are from natural occurring radioactive materials, and that the location of the bomb is still unknown. 

"I'm pleased to see the attention this is getting. There are too many questions and inconsistencies that still need to be addressed. When others in government say they would prefer to put their heads in the sand and forget about it, they should remember that it is the same sand that the bomb is buried in." - Tybee City Council member 

Copyright 2007 TYBEEBOMBSQUAD.COM. All rights reserved Designed and Hosted by